Our EYFS Mission
Our mission within the Early Years Foundation Stage at Grenoside Community Primary School is to be a caring school that enables children to succeed as unique individuals and celebrates their achievements. We strive for a place where the children are inspired and develop interests in learning for life, within a happy, creative and secure environment. Foundation Stage is the start of the children’s school life and we believe that we create strong foundations for the children which embed good attitudes for learning. These foundations are the building blocks to support children on their journey through a happy and successful life in education.
As a whole staff team we aim to:
- Create a stimulating learning environment which ensures each child achieves their full potential
- Ensure that every child receives a broad and balanced education of the highest standard, and are helped to discover their individual strengths
- Maintain a safe, caring, happy community where every child matters and each child feels safe, nurtured, loved and supported
- Encourage respect for each other and for the environment
- Create self-motivating, self-disciplined, confident, independent thinkers
- Nurture the spiritual, moral, social, emotional and physical wellbeing of each individual for life
- Build strong partnerships with families to create an open and welcoming school
- Develop and promote lively and inquisitive minds with the desire and skill to explore new ideas
- Foster a sense of awe and wonder and develop natural curiosity, so children enjoy learning in and out of school
- Encourage our children to believe in themselves, while equipping them with the fundamental skills to enjoy and achieve in life
- Interact with all of the children to develop language acquisition and oracy.
At Grenoside Community Primary School our intention is to develop an ethos in which all will thrive. Diversity and differences will be valued, respected and celebrated by all, and these aspects will contribute to the richness of our school life and learning.
Children in our foundation stage classes learn the skills and knowledge found in the Early Years Foundation Stage which sets standards for the learning and care of children from birth to 5 years old.
The children learn within the prime areas of learning:
- communication and language
- physical development
- personal, social and emotional development
The specific areas of learning are:
- understanding the world
- expressive arts and design
The children have a daily phonics lesson which is based around the Letters and Sounds scheme, using cued articulation alongside to support their learning. They are taught in ability groups according to the phase they are working in.
Here is more information as shared at our phonics workshop: click here
Some parental feedback:
“I found it really useful to know, to help me teach at home.”
“It was encouraging to see what the children are learning at school”
“Fantastic to see phonics in actions”
“It was pleasing to see the enthusiasm of the teaching staff and the children having fun whilst learning”
For more information and for some helpful tips and games for home see: http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
The children learn to read individually and in guided reading sessions. Parents are encouraged to read the reading scheme books at home and record in their child’s reading diary. Alongside this a set of key words are sent home – these words are to be learnt on sight as they can’t be phonetically decoded.
These words can be found at: http://www.highfrequencywords.org/first-100-high-frequency-word-list-precursive.html
At Grenoside Community Primary School the children are taught maths daily to consolidate and reinforce skills. They will learn through songs, teacher input, focus group activities and through accessing the continuous provision.